Update My Profile
Change My Password
In 2021, the total primary energy requirement (sum of imported and locally available fuels less re-exports and bunkering after adjusting for stock changes) was 1,367 thousand tonnes of oil equivalent (ktoe), up by 2% from 1,334 ktoe in 2020.
Imported fuels comprising petroleum products (54%) and coal (33%) made up nearly 88% (1,199 ktoe) of the total primary energy requirement in 2021. The remaining 12% (169 ktoe) was from local sources, namely, bagasse, hydro, wind, landfill gas, photovoltaic and fuelwood.
In 2021, electricity generation increased by 4% from 2,882 GWh (248 ktoe) in 2020 to 2,992 GWh (257 ktoe), of which 79% (2,350 GWh or 202 ktoe) was generated from non-renewable sources and 21% (642 GWh or 55 ktoe) from renewable sources.
The Independent Power Producers produced around 60% of the total electricity generated and the Central Electricity Board produced the remaining 40%.
From 2020 to 2021, sales of electricity increased by 3% from 2,448 GWh (211 ktoe) to 2,524 GWh (217 ktoe) and the average sales price remained at around Rs 6 per kWh.
The mean amount of rainfall recorded in the Island of Mauritius increased by 1.6% from 1,993 millimetres in 2020 to 2,025 millimetres in 2021. During the same period, the total volume of potable water treated by the different treatment plants went up by 3.6% from 304 million cubic metres to 315 million cubic metres.
07 June 2022