Update My Profile
Change My Password
Wage Rate Index – Fourth Quarter and Year 2022
(Base: fourth quarter 2021=100)
1. The wage rate index increased by 0.4% or 0.4 point to reach 106.1 in fourth quarter 2022 from 105.7 in third quarter 2022.
2. Main changes registered in the sub-indices from third quarter 2022 to fourth quarter 2022 are:
Information and communication
Professional, scientific and technical activities
Financial and insurance activities
Agriculture, forestry and fishing -3.7%
Human health and social work activities
3. The Wage Rate Index for the General Government sector, comprising Ministries, Government departments and agencies operating under them, municipalities, district councils and Rodrigues Regional Assembly decreased by 0.2% to reach 103.0 in the fourth quarter, from 103.2 in the third quarter 2022.
4. The index for the private sector which accounts for around 54% of the total weight of the wage rate index increased by 0.7% or 0.7 point from 107.3 in third quarter 2022 to 108.0 in fourth quarter 2022.
5. The index for the public sector which comprises General Government and public enterprises and accounting for around 46% of the wage rate index, increased by 0.1% or 0.1 point from 103.8 in third quarter 2022 to 103.9 in fourth quarter 2022.
Wage Rate Index – Year 2022
6. The wage rate index for year 2022, which is an average of the four quarters, worked out to 104.5 compared to 96.9 in 2021.
7. The index for the General Government sector and public sector for year 2022 worked out to 103.2 and 103.4 respectively.
8. The index for the private sector for year 2022, worked out to 105.3.
Ministry of Finance, Economic Planning and Development
27 March 2023