Energy and Water Statistics - 2020


1.      Total Primary Energy Requirement

In 2020, the total primary energy requirement (sum of imported and locally available fuels less re-exports and bunkering after adjusting for stock changes) was 1,334 thousand tonnes of oil equivalent (ktoe), down by 16.6% from 1,600 ktoe in 2019.

Imported fuels comprising petroleum products (56.0%) and coal (30.7%) made up 86.7% (1,157 ktoe) of the total primary energy requirement in 2020. The remaining 13.3% (177 ktoe) was from local sources, namely, bagasse, hydro, wind, landfill gas, photovoltaic and fuelwood.

2.      Electricity

In 2020, electricity generation decreased by 11.0% from 3,237 GWh (278 ktoe) in 2019 to 2,882 GWh (248 ktoe), of which 76.1% (2,194 GWh or 189 ktoe) was generated from non-renewable sources and 23.9% (688 GWh or 59 ktoe) from renewable sources.

The Independent Power Producers produced around 59.2% of the total electricity generated and the Central Electricity Board produced the remaining 40.8%.

From 2019 to 2020, sales of electricity decreased by 11.1% from 2,754 GWh (237 ktoe) to 2,448 GWh (211 ktoe) and the average sales price remained at around Rs. 6 per kWh.

3.      Water

The mean amount of rainfall recorded in the Island of Mauritius decreased by 6.4% from 2,130 millimetres in 2019 to 1,993 millimetres in 2020. During the same period, the total volume of potable water treated by the different treatment plants went up by 3.1% from 295 million cubic metres to 304 million cubic metres.




07 June 2021