Energy and Water Statistics - 2019


​1.      Total Primary Energy Requirement

In 2019, the total primary energy requirement (sum of imported and locally available fuels less re-exports and bunkering after adjusting for stock changes) was 1,627 thousand tonnes of oil equivalent (ktoe), up by 2.6% from 1,586 in 2018.

Imported fuels comprising petroleum products (62.1%) and coal (25.3%) made up 87.4% (1,422 ktoe) of the total primary energy requirement in 2019. The remaining 12.6% (204 ktoe) consisted of locally available sources namely, bagasse, hydro, wind, landfill gas, photovoltaic and fuelwood.

2.      Electricity

In 2019, electricity generation went up by 3.4% from 3,132 GWh (269 ktoe) in 2018 to 3,237 GWh (278 ktoe), of which 78.3% (2,535 GWh or 218 ktoe) was generated from non-renewable sources and 21.7% (702 GWh or 60 ktoe) from renewable sources.

The Independent Power Producers produced around 54.8% of the total electricity generated and the Central Electricity Board produced the remaining 45.2%.

From 2018 to 2019, sales of electricity increased by 3.9% from 2,650 GWh (228 ktoe) to 2,754 GWh (237 ktoe) and the average sales price remained at around Rs. 6 per KWh.

3.      Water

The mean amount of rainfall recorded in the Island of Mauritius decreased by 24.4% from 2,816 millimetres in 2018 to 2,130 millimetres in 2019. During the same period, the total volume of potable water treated by the different treatment plants went up by 3.5% from 285 to 295 million cubic metres.


July 2020​