You may be trying to access this site from a secured browser on the server. Please enable scripts and reload this page.
Turn on more accessible mode
Turn off more accessible mode
Skip Ribbon Commands
Skip to main content
Turn off Animations
Turn on Animations
Back to GOV portal
Update My Profile
Change My Password
Energy and Water Statistics - Year 2018
Total Primary Energy Requirement
In 2018, total primary energy requirement (sum of imported and locally available fuels less re-exports and bunkering after adjusting for stock changes) was 1,586 thousand tonnes of oil equivalent (ktoe), down by 0.9% from 1,600 ktoe in 2017.
Imported fuels comprising petroleum products (59%) and coal (28%) made up 87% (1,382 ktoe) of the total primary energy requirement in 2018. The remaining 13% (204 ktoe) consisted of locally available sources namely bagasse, hydro, wind, landfill gas, photovoltaic and fuelwood.
In 2018, electricity generation went up by 0.4% from 3,120 GWh (268 ktoe) in 2017 to 3,132 GWh (269 ktoe), of which 79% (2,483 GWh or 213 ktoe) was generated from non-renewable sources and 21% (649 GWh or 56 ktoe) from renewable sources.
The Independent Power Producers produced around 57% of the total electricity generated and the Central Electricity Board produced the remaining 43%.
During the same period 2017-2018, sales of electricity increased by 1.2% from 2,618 GWh (225 ktoe) to 2,650 GWh (228 ktoe) and the average sales price remained at around Rs. 6 per kWh.
The mean amount of rainfall recorded in the Island of Mauritius increased by 32.0% from 2,134 millimetres in 2017 to 2,816 in 2018. During the same period, the total volume of potable water treated by the different treatment plants went up by 9.2% from 261 to 285 million cubic metres (Mm