You may be trying to access this site from a secured browser on the server. Please enable scripts and reload this page.
Turn on more accessible mode
Turn off more accessible mode
Skip Ribbon Commands
Skip to main content
Turn off Animations
Turn on Animations
Back to GOV portal
Update My Profile
Change My Password
Energy and Water Statistics - Year 2017
Total Primary Energy Requirement
In 2017, total primary energy requirement (sum of imported and locally available fuels less re-exports and bunkering after adjusting for stock changes) was 1,603 thousand tonnes of oil equivalent (ktoe), up by 3.1% from 1,555 in 2016.
Imported fuels comprising petroleum products (57%) and coal (29%) made up 86% (1,385 ktoe) of the total primary energy requirement in 2017. The remaining 14% (218 ktoe) consisted of locally available sources namely bagasse, hydro, wind, landfill gas, photovoltaic and fuelwood.
In 2017, electricity generation went up by 3.8% from 3,042 GWh (262 ktoe) in 2016 to 3,157 GWh (272 ktoe), of which 79% (2,496 GWh or 215 ktoe) was generated from non-renewable sources and 21% (661 GWh or 57 ktoe) from renewable sources.
The Independent Power Producers produced around 60% of the total electricity generated and the Central Electricity Board produced the remaining 40%.
During the same period 2016-2017, sales of electricity increased by 2.3% from 2,559 GWh (220 ktoe) to 2,618 GWh (225 ktoe) and the average sales price remained at around Rs 6 per kWh.
The mean amount of rainfall recorded in the Island of Mauritius increased by 12.6% from 1,896 millimetres in 2016 to 2,134 in 2017. During the same period, the total volume of potable water treated by the different treatment plants went up by 5.7% from 247 to 261 million cubic metres (Mm