You may be trying to access this site from a secured browser on the server. Please enable scripts and reload this page.
Turn on more accessible mode
Turn off more accessible mode
Skip Ribbon Commands
Skip to main content
Turn off Animations
Turn on Animations
Back to GOV portal
Update My Profile
Change My Password
Energy and Water Statistics - Year 2016
Total Primary Energy Requirement
In 2016, total primary energy requirement (sum of imported and locally available fuels less re-exports and bunkering after adjusting for stock changes) was 1,550 thousand tonnes of oil equivalent (ktoe), up by 1% from 1,534 in 2015.
Imported fuels comprising petroleum products (56%) and coal (29%) made up 85%(1,323 ktoe) of the total primary energy requirement in 2016. The remaining 15% (227 ktoe) consisted of locally available sources namely bagasse, hydro, wind, landfill gas, photovoltaic and fuelwood.
In 2016, electricity generation went up by 1.5% from 2,996 GWh (258 ktoe) in 2015 to 3,042 GWh (262 ktoe), of which 78% (2,379 GWh or 205 ktoe) was generated from non-renewable sources.
The Independent Power Producers produced around 60% of the total electricity generated and the Central Electricity Board produced the remaining 40%.
During the same period 2015-2016, sales of electricity increased by 2.2% from 2,505 GWh (215 ktoe) to 2,559 GWh (220 ktoe) and the average sales price remained at around Rs 6 per kWh.
The mean amount of rainfall recorded in the Island of Mauritius went down by 20.2% from 2,377 millimetres in 2015 to 1,896 in 2016. During the same period, the total volume of potable water treated by the different treatment plants went up by 0.8% from 245 to 247 million cubic metres (Mm