You may be trying to access this site from a secured browser on the server. Please enable scripts and reload this page.
Turn on more accessible mode
Turn off more accessible mode
Skip Ribbon Commands
Skip to main content
Turn off Animations
Turn on Animations
Back to GOV portal
Update My Profile
Change My Password
Labour force, Employment and Unemployment – Year 2022
1. The labour force, employment and unemployment for the year 2022 are based on the results of the Continuous Multi-Purpose Household Survey (CMPHS).
2. Labour force increased by 30,000 (+19,600 males and +10,400 females) from 532,800 in 2021 to 562,800 in 2022. During the same period, the number of those outside labour force decreased by 27,400 from 475,600 to 448,200.
3. Mauritian employment increased by 35,200 (+25,000 males and +10,200 females) from 484,400 in 2021 to 519,600 in 2022.
4. Unemployment decreased by 5,200 (-5,400 males and +200 females) from 48,400 in 2021 to 43,200 in 2022 resulting in an unemployment rate of 7.7%. From 2021 to 2022, male unemployment rate decreased from 8.1% to 6.0% and female unemployment rate decreased from 10.6% to 10.2%.
5. Unemployment rate in 2022 was highest in the lowest age group (16 to 24 years) with a rate of 25.1% (22.3% for male and 29.0% for female) and decreased progressively with increasing age.
18 May 2023