Skip Ribbon Commands
Skip to main content

Energy and Water Statistics - Year 2023 





1.      Total Primary Energy Requirement

In 2023, the total primary energy requirement (sum of imported and locally available fuels less re-exports and bunkering after adjusting for stock changes) was 1,537,622 tonnes of oil equivalent (toe), up by 3.5% from 1,484,976 toe in 2022.

​Imported fuels comprising, mainly, petroleum products (63.9%) and coal (26.3%) made up 90.2% (1,386,914 toe) of the total primary energy requirement in 2023. The remaining 9.8% (150,709 toe) was from local sources, namely, bagasse, hydro, wind, landfill gas, photovoltaic and fuelwood.


2.      Electricity

In 2023, electricity generation increased by 4.7% from 3,119.2 GWh (268,205 toe) in 2022 to 3,265.5 GWh (280,780 toe), of which 82.4% (2,691.0 GWh) was generated from non-renewable sources and 17.6% (574.4 GWh) from renewable sources.

The Independent Power Producers produced 47.9% of the total electricity generated and the Central Electricity Board produced the remaining 52.1%.

From 2022 to 2023, sales of electricity increased by 4.3% from 2,698.1 GWh to 2,813.7 GWh and the average sales price was at Rs. 6.99 per kWh.


3.      Water

The mean amount of rainfall recorded in the Island of Mauritius increased by 15.5% from 2,201 millimetres in 2022 to 2,543 millimetres in 2023. During the same period, the total volume of potable water treated by the different treatment plants went down by 2.0% from 319.5 million cubic metres to 313.2 million cubic metres.

​From 2022 to 2023, the total volume of water sold decreased from 127.4 Mm3 to 125.5 Mm3, down by 1.5%. 




excel2.jpg PDFLogo.jpg​​​​


 07 June 2024​