Skip Ribbon Commands
Skip to main content

Energy and Water Statistics - 2022





1.      Total Primary Energy Requirement


In 2022, the total primary energy requirement (sum of imported and locally available fuels less re-exports and bunkering after adjusting for stock changes) was 1,484,976 tonnes of oil equivalent (toe), up by 8.6% from 1,367,124 toe in 2021.


Imported fuels comprising, mainly, petroleum products (65.7%) and coal (24.2%) made up 90.0% (1,335,740 toe) of the total primary energy requirement in 2022. The remaining 10.0% (149,235 toe) was from local sources, namely, bagasse, hydro, wind, landfill gas, photovoltaic and fuelwood.


2.      Electricity


In 2022, electricity generation increased by 4.2% from 2,992.1 GWh (257,481 toe) in 2021 to 3,119.2 GWh (268,205 toe), of which 80.8% (2,520.8 GWh) was generated from non-renewable sources and 19.2% (598.4 GWh) from renewable sources.


The Independent Power Producers produced 46.3% of the total electricity generated and the Central Electricity Board produced the remaining 53.7%.


From 2021 to 2022, sales of electricity increased by 6.9% from 2,524.3 GWh to 2,698.1 GWh and the average sales price was at Rs. 5.85 per kWh.


3.      Water


The mean amount of rainfall recorded in the Island of Mauritius increased by 8.7% from 2,025 millimetres in 2021 to 2,201 millimetres in 2022. During the same period, the total volume of potable water treated by the different treatment plants went up by 1.4% from 315.2 million cubic metres to 319.5 million cubic metres.


From 2021 to 2022, the total volume of water sold increased from 121.9 Mm3 to 127.4 Mm3, up by 4.5%.



excel2.jpg PDFLogo.jpg​​​​


06 June 2023