SOCIAL SECURITY STATISTICS
2010 – 2014
Highlights – Republic of Mauritius
- Expenditure on Social Security and Welfare amounted to Rs. 26,028 million in 2013, representing 26.7% of total government expenditure and 7.1% of the Gross Domestic Product (GDP) at market prices.
- At end 2014, the number of beneficiaries of Basic Retirement Pension reached 184,487, 3.8% more than at the end of 2013. The cost to Government was Rs. 9,960 million, 14.0% higher than in 2013.
- There were 20,302 Basic Widow’s Pensioners at the end of 2014 compared to 20,511 one year ago, showing a decrease of 1.0%. However, due to increases in the rates payable, the amount disbursed increased by 9.1% to reach Rs. 1,040 million during year 2014.
- The number of Basic Invalid’s Pensioners at the end of 2014 was 30,715, compared to 30,930 a year ago. The total amount disbursed in 2014 rose by 10.6% to reach Rs. 1,679 million.
- At end 2014, the number of beneficiaries of Basic Orphan’s Pension stood at 372 compared to 374 at end 2013 and expenditure increased to Rs. 27.7 million, from Rs 26.5 million in 2013.
- Social Aid benefits were paid to 21,246 families as at December 2014, i.e., an increase of 3.3% over 2013. Amount paid registered a 3.7% increase to reach Rs. 764 million in 2014.
7. A forty years’ projection indicates that the number of Basic Retirement Pensioners would rise to reach around 343,000 in 2054, from 184,487 in 2014 and the amount disbursed is expected to increase from Rs. 10 billion to Rs. 18.5 billion.