1. Monthly index
The Producer Price Index–Agriculture, which was 116.3 in June 2013, went down by 5.8% to reach 109.6 in September 2013. This drop was due to decreases of 5.0%, 0.3% and 0.5% in July, August and September respectively.
The index for “Sugar cane” for the period July to September 2013 was 90.4 based on the provisional price of sugar for the 2013 crop. This represents a decrease of 6.1% over the 2012 crop. It is assumed that the same price prevails during the whole of the crop year.
Other crop products
- In July 2013, the index for “Other crop products” decreased by 11.9% mainly due to a decrease in the prices of fresh vegetables (-17.4%).
- In August 2013, the index went down by 1.5% largely as a result of a decrease in the prices of fresh vegetables (-9.8%), partly offset by an increase of 39.8% in the prices of fruits and nuts.
- In September 2013, the index dropped further by 2.4% mainly due to a decrease in the prices of fresh vegetables (-5.9%).
Animals and animal products
- In July 2013, the index for “Animals and animal products” rose by 1.1% due to an increase in the prices of poultry (+2.4%), partly offset by lower prices of eggs (-2.9%).
- In August 2013, the index increased by 0.1% due to an increase in the prices of eggs (+0.3%).
- In September 2013, the index went down by 0.3% due to a decrease of 1.5% in the prices of eggs.
2. Quarterly index
During the third quarter of 2013, PPI-A decreased by 6.8% compared to the previous quarter. This was mainly due to lower prices of fresh vegetables (-32.2%), partly offset by higher prices of fruits and nuts (+8.2%), and animals and animal products (+1.5%).
Compared to the third quarter of 2012, the index decreased by 0.6%.
3. Yearly index
In 2012, producer prices of agricultural products were on average 4.0% higher compared to 2011.