Export Oriented Enterprises (EOE)
4th Quarter 2014
Export Oriented Enterprises (EOE) consist of enterprises previously operating with an EPZ certificate as well as those manufacturing goods for exports and holding a registration certificate issued by the Board of Investment.
1. The number of export-oriented enterprises decreased from 312 at the end of September 2014 to 309 at the end of the December 2014, following the closure of seven enterprises, resumption of activity by one dormant company and three new enterprises.
2. Compared to the third quarter of 2014, total employment in EOE decreased by 521 (-0.9%) from 55,098 to 54,577. Employment of Mauritians went down by 436 (-1.4%) from 32,222 to 31,786 and employment of foreign workers decreased by 85 (-0.4%) from 22,876 to 22,791.
3. Some 567 new jobs were created whilst 1,088 were lost. The job losses were due to the contraction of workforce in some enterprises (-913) and to the closure of 7 enterprises (-175).
4. EOE exports during the quarter amounted to R 11,604 million, lower by 4.4% compared to the third quarter of 2014 and by 1.1% compared to the fourth quarter of 2013.
5. EOE imports amounted to R 7,012 million, lower by 5.6% compared to the third quarter of 2014 and by 8.0% compared to the fourth quarter of 2013.