Skip Ribbon Commands
Skip to main content
Statistics Mauritius (under the aegis of the Ministry of Finance & Economic Development)
Statistics Mauritius>Statistics by Subject>Energy and Water Statistics Year 2013

Energy and Water Statistics Year 2013

 
Highlights
 
 
1.      Primary Energy Requirement
 
Total primary energy requirement, also known as Total Primary Energy Supply, is defined as the sum of imported and locally available fuels less re-exports and bunkering after adjusting for stock changes.
 
Total primary energy requirement increased by 1.9% from 1,428 in 2012 to 1,455 thousand tonnes of oil equivalent (ktoe) in 2013.
 
             Imported fuels comprising petroleum products (55%) and coal (30%) made up 85% (1,235 ktoe) of the total primary energy requirement in 2013. The remaining 15% (219 ktoe) consisted of locally available sources namely bagasse, hydro, wind, landfill gas, photovoltaic and fuelwood.
 
 
 
2.      Electricity
 
In 2013, electricity generation went up by 3.1% from 2,797 GWh (241 ktoe) in 2012 to 2,885 GWh (248 ktoe), of which 59% were supplied by the Independent Power Producers  and 41% by the Central Electricity Board.
 
During the same period, sales of electricity increased by 3.9% from 2,294 GWh
(197 ktoe) to 2,384 GWh (205 Ktoe) and the average sales price remained at around Rs 6 per kWh.
 
 
 
3.      Water
 
The mean amount of rainfall recorded in the Island of Mauritius was 2,049 millimetres in 2013, up by 27.3% from 1,609 millimetres in 2012.  The total volume of potable water treated by the different treatment plants went up by 0.9% from 215 million cubic metres (Mm3) in 2012 to 217 (Mm3) in 2013.
 
 
 
 
 
June 2014