Skip Ribbon Commands
Skip to main content
Statistics Mauritius (under the aegis of the Ministry of Finance & Economic Development)
Statistics Mauritius>Statistics by Subject>Energy and Water Statistics Year 2014

Energy and Water Statistics Year 2014

Highlights
 
 
1.    Primary Energy Requirement
 
Total primary energy requirement, also known as Total Primary Energy Supply, is defined as the sum of imported and locally available fuels less re-exports and bunkering after adjusting for stock changes.
 
          Total primary energy requirement increased by 2.5% from 1,455 in 2013 to 1,492 thousand tonnes of oil equivalent (ktoe) in 2014.
 
Imported fuels comprising petroleum products (55%) and coal (31%) made up 86% (1,279 ktoe) of the total primary energy requirement in 2014. The remaining 14% (212 ktoe) consisted of locally available sources namely bagasse, hydro, wind, landfill gas, photovoltaic and fuelwood.
 
 
2.    Electricity
 
In 2014, electricity generation went up by 1.8% from 2,885 GWh (248 ktoe) in 2013 to 2,937 GWh (253 ktoe), of which 80% (2,341 GWh or 202 ktoe) was generated from non-renewable sources and 20% (596 GWh or 51 ktoe) from renewable sources.
 
The Independent Power Producers produced around 60% of the total electricity generated and the Central Electricity Board produced the remaining 40%.
 
    During the same period, sales of electricity increased by 2.9% from 2,384 GWh (205 ktoe)
 to 2,452 GWh (211 ktoe) and the average sales price remained at around Rs 6 per kWh.
 
 
 
3.    Water
 
The mean amount of rainfall recorded in the Island of Mauritius went down by 1.5% from 2,126 millimetres in 2013 to 2,094 in 2014. During the same period, the total volume of potable water treated by the different treatment plants went up by 5.5% from 217 to 229 million cubic metres (Mm3).
 
 
 
 
June 2015