Export Oriented Enterprises (EOE) consist of enterprises previously operating with an EPZ certificate as well as those manufacturing goods for exports and holding a registration certificate issued by the Board of Investment.
1. The number of EOE decreased from 313 at the end of March 2014 to 311 at the end of June 2014 due to closure of two enterprises producing wearing apparel.
2. Compared to the first quarter of 2014, total employment in EOE increased by 434 (+0.8%) from 54,886 to 55,320. Employment of Mauritians went up by 155 (+0.5%) from 32,646 to 32,801, while employment of foreign workers increased by 279 (+1.3%) from 22,240 to 22,519.
3. Some 969 new jobs were created whilst 535 were lost. The job losses were due to the contraction of workforce in some enterprises (-500) and closure of 2 enterprises
4. EOE exports amounted to R 12,507 million, 14.0% higher compared to the first quarter of 2014 and 3.3% higher compared to the second quarter 2013.
5. EOE imports amounted to R 6,638 million, 3.8% higher compared to the first quarter of 2014 but 11.8% lower compared to the second quarter of 2013.