Construction Price Index – 3rd Quarter 2014
1. The Construction Price Index, which stood at 112.5 as at June 2014, decreased by 0.1 % or 0.2 point during the third quarter of 2014 to reach 112.3 in September 2014.
2. On a monthly basis, the index registered a decrease of 0.1% in July and remained at almost the same level in August and September 2014.
3. The index which stood at 112.5 in June 2014, dropped slightly to 112.4 in July as a result of decreases in the prices of steel bars (-1.1%) and cement (-0.1%) partly offset by increases in the prices of ceramic tiles (5.8%) and metal openings (0.5%). In August 2014, the index dropped to 112.3 as a result of lower prices of steel bars
(-0.4%). In September 2014, a further decrease of 0.3% was noted in the price of steel bars but its effect on the index was negligible.
4. As a consequence of the above changes, the “Materials” sub index decreased by 0.1% or 0.1 point in July and in August 2014 and remained unchanged in September 2014.
5. During the third quarter of 2014, no change was registered in the “Labour”, ‘Hire of plant” and “Transport” sub-indices.