1. Monthly index
The Producer Price Index–Agriculture, which was 97.4 in September 2014, went down by 4.0% to 93.5 in December 2014. This drop was due to the combined effects of decreases of 4.4% and 0.5% registered in October and December respectively and a rise of 1.0% in November.
The index for “Sugar cane” for the period July to December 2014 was 68.5 based on the provisional price of sugar for the 2014 crop. This represents a decrease of 21.0% over the 2013 crop. It is assumed that the same price prevails during the whole of the crop year.
Other crop products
- In October 2014, the index for “Other crop products” declined by 16.1% mainly due to decreases in the prices of fresh vegetables (-22.7%) and fruits and nuts (-18.9%).
- In November 2014, the index registered a rise of 4.1% mainly due to the combined effects of an increase in the prices of fresh vegetables (+8.6%) and a decrease in the prices of fruits and nuts (-4.2%).
- In December 2014, the index decreased by 5.0% mainly due to decreases in the prices of fresh vegetables (-7.6%) and fruits and nuts (-8.8%).
Animals and animal products
- In October 2014, the index for “Animals and animal products” dropped by 2.3% mainly due to decreases in the prices of poultry (-3.0%) and eggs (-0.8%).
- In November 2014, the index went up by 0.5% due to increases in the prices of poultry (+0.5%) and eggs (+0.5%).
- In December 2014, the index increased further by 1.5% due to higher prices of poultry (+2.1%) and eggs (+0.1%).
2. Quarterly index
During the fourth quarter of 2014, PPI-A decreased by 5.8% compared to the previous quarter. This was mainly due to lower prices of fresh vegetables (-28.5%), animal and animals products (-2.9%) and fruits and nuts (-31.0%), partly offset by higher prices of stimulant and spice (+6.5%).
Compared to the fourth quarter of 2013, the index dropped by 13.3%.
3. Yearly index
In 2014, producer prices of agricultural products were on average 8.3% lower compared to 2013.