Highlights – Republic of Mauritius
- Expenditure on Social Security and Welfare amounted to Rs. 28,060 million in 2014, representing 28% of total government expenditure and 7.3% of the Gross Domestic Product (GDP) at market prices.
- 2. As at June 2015, the number of beneficiaries of Basic Retirement Pension reached 188,470, 2.2% more compared to December 2014. The cost to Government was Rs. 6,179 million during the period January to June 2015.
- There were 20,291 Basic Widow’s Pensioners in June 2015, almost same as 20,302 six months earlier. Amount disbursed was Rs. 670 million from January to June 2015.
- The number of Basic Invalid’s Pensioners as at June 2015 was 30,412, compared to 30,715 six months earlier. The total amount disbursed reached Rs. 1,066 million for the first six months of 2015.
- At June 2015, the number of beneficiaries of Basic Orphan’s Pension stood at 376 compared to 372 at end 2014, and expenditure amounted to Rs. 15 million for the period January to June 2015.
- Social Aid benefits were paid to 20,369 families in June 2015, i.e., a decrease of 4.1% over the figure for December 2014. Amount paid reached Rs. 326 million in half-year period January to June 2015.