1. Monthly index
The Producer Price Index–Agriculture, which was 95.2 in September 2018 decreased by 1.2% to reach 94.1 in December 2018. The index increased by 0.9% and 0.3% in October and November respectively and decreased by 2.4% in December.
The index for “Sugar cane” for the period July to December 2018 was 61.3 based on the provisional price of sugar for the 2018 crop. This represents a decrease of 9.5% over the 2017 crop. It is assumed that the same price prevails during the whole of the crop year.
Other crop products
- In October 2018, the index for “Other crop products” went up by 9.3% mainly due to increases in the prices of fresh vegetables (+11.7%) and fruits and nuts (+18.2%), partly offset by a decrease in the prices of stimulant and spice (-24.3%).
- In December 2018, the index fell by 7.6% mainly due to a decrease in the prices of fresh
Animals and animal products
- In October 2018, the index for “Animals and animal products” went down by 4.6% due to decreases in the prices of eggs (-6.5%) and poultry (-6.2%), partly mitigated by an increase in the prices of milk (+21.7%).
- In November 2018, the index decreased by 1.4% due to a decrease in the prices of poultry (-2.3%).
- In December 2018, the index rose by 1.0% due to an increase in the prices of poultry (+2.4%), partly offset by a decrease in the prices of eggs (-2.6%).
2. Quarterly index
During the fourth quarter of 2018, PPI-A increased by 0.9% compared to the previous quarter. This was due to increases in the prices of fruits and nuts (+21.8%) and fresh vegetables (+7.7%), partly offset by lower prices of Animals and animal products (-4.9%).
Compared to the fourth quarter of 2017, the index decreased by 1.7%.
3. Yearly index
In 2018, producer prices of agricultural products were on average 0.1% higher compared to 2017.