1. Monthly index
The Producer Price Index–Agriculture, which was 94.8 in June 2016, went up by 3.5% to reach 98.1 in September 2016. The index increased by 4.2% in July, decreased by 0.7% in August and remained unchanged in September.
The index for “Sugar cane” for the period July to September 2016 was 94.8 based on the provisional price of sugar for the 2016 crop. This represents an increase of 13.9% over the 2015 crop. It is assumed that the same price prevails during the whole of the crop year.
Other crop products
- In July 2016, the index for “Other crop products” increased by 0.3% mainly due to the combined effects of an increase in the prices of fresh vegetables (+6.3%) and a decrease in the prices of fruits and nuts (-14.6%).
- In August 2016, the index went down by 4.2% mainly due to decreases in the prices of fresh vegetables (-3.1%) and fruits and nuts (-10.0%).
- In September 2016, the index increased by 1.1% mainly due to an increase in the prices of fresh vegetables (+0.9%).
Animals and animal products
- In July 2016, the index for “Animals and animal products” increased by 0.3% mainly due to increases in the prices of poultry (+0.3%) and cattle (+1.1%).
- In August 2016, the index went up by 0.2% due to an increase in the prices of eggs (+1.0%).
- In September 2016, the index decreased by 0.2% due to a decrease in the prices of eggs (-0.7%).
2. Quarterly index
During the third quarter of 2016, PPI-A increased by 6.8% compared to the previous quarter. This was mainly due to higher prices of Animals and animal products (+8.4%), partly offset by lower prices of fresh vegetables (-4.5%).
Compared to the third quarter of 2015, the index increased by 6.7%.
3. Yearly index
In 2015, producer prices of agricultural products were on average 2.8% lower compared to 2014.