1. Monthly index
The Producer Price Index–Agriculture, which was 98.5 in March 2019 decreased by 4.6% to reach 94.0 in June 2019. This fall was due to the combined effects of an increase of 7.3% in April and decreases of 3.5% and 7.8% in May and June respectively.
The index for “Sugar cane” for the period July 2018 to June 2019 was 55.0 based on the final price of sugar for the 2018 crop. This represents a decrease of 18.8% over the 2017 crop. It is assumed that the same price prevails during the whole of the crop year.
Other crop products
- In April 2019, the index for “Other crop products” increased by 18.6%, mainly due to increases of 28.3% in the prices of fruits and nuts, and 20.5% in the prices of fresh vegetables (brinjal, other fresh vegetables and carrot).
- In May 2019, the index fell by 7.2% mainly due to decreases of 10.7% in the prices of oilseeds and oleaginous fruits, 8.0% in the prices of fresh vegetables (beans, cabbage, carrot and tomato) and 6.9% in fruits and nuts, partly mitigated by 4.0% increase in the prices of stimulant and spice.
- In June 2019, the index fell by 19.6% mainly due to decreases of 30.6% in the prices of fresh vegetables (tomato and carrot) and 16.8% in the prices of edible roots and tubers, partly mitigated by an increase of 20.3% in the prices of oilseeds and oleaginous fruits.
Animals and animal products
- In April 2019, the index for “Animals and animal products” went down by 0.4% mainly due to a decrease in the prices of eggs (-1.8%).
- In May 2019, the index decreased by 0.8% due to a decrease in the prices of eggs (-4.8%).
- In June 2019, the index rose by 1.2% due to an increase in the prices of eggs (+6.9%).
2. Quarterly index
During the second quarter of 2019, PPI-A increased by 1.0% compared to the previous quarter. This was due to increases in the prices of “Stimulant and spice” (+8.4%) and “Fresh vegetables” (+5.0%), offset by lower prices of “Oilseeds and oleaginous fruits” (-10.2%) and “Fruits and nuts” (-2.4%).
Compared to the second quarter of 2018, the index decreased by 3.1%.