1. Monthly index
The Producer Price Index–Agriculture, which was 105.9 in March 2018, decreased by 12.7% to reach 92.5 in June 2018. The index decreased by 5.9%, 3.2% and 4.1% in April, May and June respectively.
The index for “Sugar cane” for the period July 2017 to June 2018 was 67.7 based on the final price of sugar for the 2017 crop. This represents a decrease of 31.2% over the 2016 crop. It is assumed that the same price prevails during the whole of the crop year.
Other crop products
- In April 2018, the index for “Other crop products” fell by 12.8% mainly due to decreases in the prices of edible roots and tubers (-20.1%) and fresh vegetables (-17.9%).
- In June 2018, the index fell by 11.2% mainly due to a decrease in the prices of fresh vegetables (-27.0%) partly offset by an increase in the prices of fruits and nuts (+23.9%).
Animals and animal products
- In April 2018, the index for “Animals and animal products” went up by 1.0% due to increases in the prices of milk (+20.9%) and eggs (+2.3%).
- In May 2018, the index fell by 0.2% due to a decrease in the prices of eggs (-0.9%).
- In June 2018, the index rose by 1.8% due to an increase in the prices of eggs (+8.6%).
2. Quarterly index
During the second quarter of 2018, PPI-A decreased by 6.9% compared to the previous quarter. This was due to decreases in the prices of fresh vegetables (-21.5%) and fruits and nuts (-9.1%), partly offset by higher prices of Animals and animal products (+1.1%).
Compared to the second quarter of 2017, the index decreased by 13.3%.