Highlights - Information and Communication Technologies (ICT) statistics, 2019
Between 2018 and 2019, ICT access in the country was as follows:
· number of mobile cellular phone subscriptions per 100 inhabitants decreased from 151.6 to 147.5;
· number of internet subscriptions per 100 inhabitants went up from 107.1 to 118.2; and
· number of fixed telephone lines per 100 inhabitants improved from 34.3 to 36.2.
In 2019, International Bandwidth usage increased to 101,657 Mbits/s (Megabits per second) from 64,977 Mbits/s in 2018. The usage per inhabitant reached 80,331 bits per second from 51,350 in 2018, i.e 56.4%.
Trade in ICT goods and services from 2018 to 2019 was as follows:
· Imports went down by 4.4% from Rs 16,053 million to Rs 15,354 million; and
· Exports, including re-exports, remained almost the same i.e Rs 6,040 million.
Contribution to Gross Value Added (GVA)
The value added of ICT sector rose by 5.1% from Rs 24,248 million in 2018 to Rs 25,473 million in 2019. The share of ICT sector in GVA in 2019 was 5.8%, higher than in 2018 (5.7%).
Employment in large establishments (employing 10 or more persons) operating in ICT sector remained almost the same, i.e. 16,157 in 2018 compared to 16,162 in 2019.
ICT Development Index (IDI)
The latest available figures for the ICT Development Index (IDI) which is compiled by the International Telecommunication Union (ITU) dates back to 2016. This index indicates that Mauritius with an index of 5.88 in 2016 ranked first among African countries and 72nd out of 176 countries worldwide. The highest ranked country worldwide for year 2016 was Iceland with an IDI of 8.98 and the lowest ranked was Eritrea with an IDI of 0.96.
The methodology for the computation of the IDI for the year 2017 onwards, taking on board the “Sustainable Development Goals” (SDGs), is under review by ITU and will most probably be available by the end of 2020.