Between 2017 and 2018, ICT access improved in the country, as indicated by the following:
· number of mobile cellular phone subscriptions per 100 inhabitants increased from 145.4 to 151.6;
· number of internet subscriptions per 100 inhabitants went up from 98.7 to 107.1; and
· number of fixed telephone lines per 100 inhabitants improved from 32.7 to 34.3.
In 2018, International Bandwidth usage increased to 151.0 Gbits/s (Gigabits per second) from 96.3 Gbits/s in 2017. The usage per inhabitant reached 119,318 bits per second from 76,124 in 2017.
Trade in ICT goods and services increased from 2017 to 2018 as follows:
· Imports by 13.2% from Rs 13,173 million to Rs 14,911 million; and
· Exports, including re-exports, by 5.1% from Rs 5,639 million to Rs 5,926 million.
Contribution to Gross Value Added (GVA)
The value added of ICT sector rose by 5.9% from Rs 22,894 million in 2017 to Rs 24,248 million in 2018. The share of ICT sector in GVA in 2018 was 5.7%, same as in 2017.
Employment in large establishments (employing 10 or more persons) operating in ICT sector increased by 2.5% from 15,761 in 2017 to 16,157 in 2018.
ICT Development Index (IDI)
Latest available IDI for Mauritius based on the methodology of the International Telecommunication Union (ITU) stood at 6.02 in 2016 as compared to 5.67 in the preceding year.
According to ITU, Mauritius ranked first among African countries and 72nd out of 176 countries worldwide in terms of ICT development in 2016. The highest ranked country worldwide was Iceland with an IDI of 8.98.
The methodology for the computation of the IDI for the year 2017 onwards based on a set of 14 indicators is under review and will most probably be available by the end of this year.