Skip Ribbon Commands
Skip to main content
Statistics Mauritius (under the aegis of the Ministry of Finance & Economic Development)
Statistics Mauritius>Publications>Energy and Water Statistics Year 2012

Energy and Water Statistics Year 2012

Energy and Water Statistics - 2012

 
 
 
Highlights
 
 
1.      Primary Energy Requirement
 
Total primary energy requirement, also known as Total Primary Energy Supply, is defined as the sum of imported and locally available fuels less re-exports and bunkering after adjusting for stock changes.
 
Between 2011 and 2012, total primary energy requirement increased by 2.2% from
1,427 to 1,459 thousand tonnes of oil equivalent (ktoe).
 
Imported fuels comprising petroleum products and coal accounted for 84.8% (1,237 ktoe) of the total primary energy requirement in 2012 while locally available sources made up of bagasse, hydro, wind, landfill gas, photovoltaic and fuelwood supplied the remaining 15.2%
(222 ktoe).
 
2.      Electricity
 
Between 2011 and 2012, electricity generation went up by 2.4% from 2,730 GWh to 2,796 GWh of which 59% were supplied by the Independent Power Producers (IPPs) and 41% by the Central Electricity Board (CEB).
 
During the same period, sales of electricity increased by 3.0% from 2,228 GWh
(192 ktoe) to 2,294 GWh (197 ktoe) and the average sales price remained at around Rs. 5.70 per kWh.
 
3.      Water
 
The mean amount of rainfall recorded in the Island of Mauritius was 1,609 millimetres in 2012, down by 17.3% from 1,945 millimetres in 2011.  However, the total volume of potable water treated by the different treatment plants went up by 5.9% from 203 to 215 million cubic metres (Mm3) in 2012.
 
 
 
 
June 2013
 
Word Xls ​Pdf