Skip Ribbon Commands
Skip to main content
Statistics Mauritius (under the aegis of the Ministry of Finance & Economic Development)
Statistics Mauritius>Publications>Energy and Water Statistics - Year 2015

Energy and Water Statistics - Year 2015

Highlights
 
 
1. Total Primary Energy Requirement
 
Total primary energy requirement, also known as Total Primary Energy Supply, is defined as the sum of imported and locally available fuels less re-exports and bunkering after adjusting for stock changes.
 
Total primary energy requirement increased by 2.8% from 1,492 in 2014 to 1,534 thousand tonnes of oil equivalent (ktoe) in 2015.
 
             Imported fuels comprising petroleum products (55%) and coal (29%) made up 84% (1,283 ktoe) of the total primary energy requirement in 2015. The remaining 16% (251 ktoe) consisted of locally available sources namely bagasse, hydro, wind, landfill gas, photovoltaic and fuelwood.
 
2. Electricity
 
In 2015, electricity generation went up by 2.0% from 2,937 GWh (253 ktoe) in 2014 to 2,996 GWh (258 ktoe), of which 77% (2,315 GWh or 199 ktoe) was generated from non-renewable sources and 23% (681 GWh or 59 ktoe) from renewable sources.
 
The Independent Power Producers produced around 58% of the total electricity generated and the Central Electricity Board produced the remaining 42%.
 
During the same period, sales of electricity increased by 2.2% from 2,452 GWh (211 ktoe) to 2,505 GWh (215 ktoe) and the average sales price remained at around Rs 6 per kWh.
 
 
3. Water
 
The mean amount of rainfall recorded in the Island of Mauritius went up by 13.5% from 2,094 millimetres in 2014 to 2,377 in 2015. During the same period, the total volume of potable water treated by the different treatment plants went up by 7.0% from 229 to 245 million cubic metres (Mm3).
 
 
 
Word1.jpg
 
excel2.jpg
 
PDFLogo.jpg
June 2016